Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Shad Keene wrote:
> We already have the postgresql installed and its working fine but I
> can't communicate with it using php4 that's installed. I can't find
> the php-pgsql module or the pgsql.so in php.ini.  So I'm getting an
> error on pg_connect.  Any suggestions on what to do from here?
> Can I simply download php-pgsql and the pgsql.so?  And if so, how do I
> find the version that works with php4 and postgres 8.3?

you can't simply jam in a different php-pgsql module, as PHP is built as
an integrated package with Apache and any modules and client libraries.

assuming this system is in fact Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3, and is still
on Red Hat Network support contract,

    up2date -U php-pgsql

(or maybe its -u, I forget) should take care of the php part.   this
will, however, try and load the RHEL 3.x libpq.so, which was built for
rh_postgresql 7.3.3, a very very ancient version of postgresql, and its
very unclear if this will interoperate correctly with Postgres 8.3.  At
one time, a member of the postgres development group was building a RPM
compat-postgresql-libs  for RHEL3 which would work here, however, they
no longer support RHEL3 as it won't work within their Xen based build
cluster.