Re: BUG #4680: Server crashed if using wrong (mismatch) conversion functions - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #4680: Server crashed if using wrong (mismatch) conversion functions
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> When the conversion function doesn't work, any attempt to send any text
>> to the client will fail.
>
> Ah, now I remember: we arranged to short-circuit translation of the
> error message when we were in this situation.  But it will still get
> passed through the encoding converter (rather uselessly, if it's all
> ASCII).  I wonder how ugly it would be to try to suppress encoding
> conversion as well?

The error message might contain user data, which might contain non-ASCII
characters. Or maybe not, but it seems like a shaky assumption to make.
Sending invalidly encoded data to the client is a bad idea; who knows
how the client will react.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas