Re: BUG #4680: Server crashed if using wrong (mismatch) conversion functions - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #4680: Server crashed if using wrong (mismatch) conversion functions
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I wonder how ugly it would be to try to suppress encoding
>> conversion as well?

> The error message might contain user data, which might contain non-ASCII
> characters. Or maybe not, but it seems like a shaky assumption to make.

The particular cases we are concerned about here will not.  In any case
it's a better result than dying without sending any message at all,
which would be the result of the patch you propose.

            regards, tom lane