Re: difference between current_timestamp and now() in quotes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jason Long
Subject Re: difference between current_timestamp and now() in quotes
Date
List pgsql-general
Adrian Klaver wrote:
On Thursday 22 January 2009 8:16:46 am Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz escribió:
test2=# insert into dupa(a) select 'current_timestamp' from
generate_series(1,100);
ERROR:  date/time value "current" is no longer supported
LINE 1: insert into dupa(a) select 'current_timestamp' from generate...                                  ^
test2=# insert into dupa(a) select 'now()' from generate_series(1,100);
INSERT 0 100

Any ideas why the difference ?
The parser handles CURRENT_TIMESTAMP (and others) specially, and doesn't
recognize it in quotes.  I don't know why 'now()' works; I think it is a
literal of type unknown.  I guess it's expanded to the actual value in
later parsing stages.

At least on 8.2  'now()' does not work either at least not in the way I think
you want. I get:

test=# SELECT 'now()';?column?
(1 row)

Try