Re: difference between current_timestamp and now() in quotes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: difference between current_timestamp and now() in quotes
Date
Re: difference between current_timestamp and now() in quotes  (Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@gmail.com>)
Resp.: difference between current_timestamp and now() in quotes  (Osvaldo Kussama <osvaldo.kussama@gmail.com>)
Re: difference between current_timestamp and now() in quotes  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 22 January 2009 8:16:46 am Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz escribió:
> > test2=# insert into dupa(a) select 'current_timestamp' from
> > generate_series(1,100);
> > ERROR:  date/time value "current" is no longer supported
> > LINE 1: insert into dupa(a) select 'current_timestamp' from generate...
> >                                    ^
> > test2=# insert into dupa(a) select 'now()' from generate_series(1,100);
> > INSERT 0 100
> >

> > Any ideas why the difference ?
>
> The parser handles CURRENT_TIMESTAMP (and others) specially, and doesn't
> recognize it in quotes.  I don't know why 'now()' works; I think it is a
> literal of type unknown.  I guess it's expanded to the actual value in
> later parsing stages.
>
> --
> Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

At least on 8.2  'now()' does not work either at least not in the way I think
you want. I get:

test=# SELECT 'now()';
 ?column?
 now()