Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From KaiGai Kohei
Subject Re: Updates of SE-PostgreSQL 8.4devel patches (r1268)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> I understood objections for "enable/disable something on compile-time"
> approach. The following items are my revised proposal.
> It does not conflicts to the policy Peter said before in this thread.
>
> Items to be revised:
>
> - It allows to compile multiple security mechanis within a single binary.
>
> - It provides "--enable-selinux" configure option to build SELinux support,
>   but the Row-level ACLs is always built because it does not require any
>   platform specific libraries and so on.
>
> - User choose one (or no) security mechanism on initdb and postmaster
>   starting up via $PGDATA/postgresql.conf. The current available options
>   are selinux, rowacl and nothing.
>   (*) What should be the default? rowacl? or, nothing?
>
>   The modified initdb interface is as follows:
>     $ initdb --pgace-security=(selinux|rowacl|nothing)
>
> - It add a new system column for security purpose. It enables to store
>   a security attribute of tuple, so working security mechanism has to
>   handle it properly. For example, SE-PostgreSQL handles a tuple without
>   valid security context as a "unlabeled_t" tuple.

In addition,

- The new security conlumn has common name for each security mechanisms.  Candidates are "security_attr",
"security_attribute","sec_attr" or  "security". At first, I start it with "security_attr".

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com>