Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-general
Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Christophe <xof@thebuild.com
> <mailto:xof@thebuild.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm a bit surprised to hear that; what would pg be doing, unique to
>     it, that would cause it to be slower on a RAID-1 cluster than on a
>     plain drive?
>
> yes, it is slower on mirror-raid from single drive.
> I can give you all the /proc/* dumps if you want, as far as computer
> goes, it isn't anything fancy. dual way p4, and sata drives of some sort.

O.k. that doesn't actually surprise me all that much. Software RAID 1 on
SATA Drives for specific workloads would be slower than a single drive.
It should still be faster for reads assuming some level of concurrency
but not likely faster for a single thread. Writes would be expected to
be slower because you are managing across two spindles, identical writes
and SATA is slow for that type of thing.

Joshua D. Drake