Re: Question about NOT NULL and default values. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brian
Subject Re: Question about NOT NULL and default values.
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Stephan Szabo
> <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure that will fail as the primary key or not null
>>> constraint comes first.
>> Well, since he said that he'd removed the not null constraint in his
>> testing, I figured that was a viable option.
>
> Yeah, then it might.   But I get the feeling the OP just wasn't
> assigning a sequence as a defult.

I don't think the OP wants this column to have a sequence. It looked to
me that he wants it to default to zero. I think the confusion was caused
by a comment about MySQL's autoincrement handling.

It seems to me that the problem lies with postgres-pr and the best thing
to do until that's fixed would be to use a trigger, as someone else
suggested.