Re: localhost (windows) performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From justin
Subject Re: localhost (windows) performance
Date
List pgsql-general
johnf wrote:
> I have a friend I asked to load postgres 8.3 on his XP machine.  He then
> tested a python script which accesses several tables and discovered that it
> retrieves data very slowly.  It takes about 20 seconds to retrieve the data -
> on localhost.  However, using a remote connection to a postgres database
> (mine) over the internet and running the same python script it takes only 12
> seconds.  The difference of 8 seconds makes no sense - the remote is
> completely on the other coast.
>
> I then thought it had something to do with the data -although the data set is
> small.  I did a complete dump and restored on his machine and again got the
> same results.  The machine has a recent motherboard with 2 gb of ram.  It
> does not appear to be swapping out ram.
>

> Using my local XP (accessing the LINUX database on the LAN) runs the same
> python script in just under 3 seconds (most of the time is in loading the
> GUI).
>
> One other major difference is I'm running postgres8.2 on linux.
>
> Anybody, have a suggestion - I'm not a windows guru.  Or is this normal for
> windows?
Hardware related i'm betting.  The client is having to run the python the gui and postgresql on the same hard drive its
gettingIO bound

What size is the data set  1 meg  20 megs or 100 megs.  I have seen small record counts but it was nothing but blobs in
thetable so the table was 5 gigs.

What is the hardware specs on the XP machine??  Can you post the Select statements???