Re: no XLOG during COPY? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: no XLOG during COPY?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> Back in February, Tom said here:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-02/msg00963.php :
>>
>>> That defeats a couple of optimizations that
>>> Simon put in recently.  The one for no XLOG during COPY is not too
>>> hard to see how to re-enable, but I'm not sure what else there was.
>>
>> Could someone please point me at where this optimization was
>> committed? I'm having trouble locating it.
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-01/msg00296.php

Great, thanks (and also to Guillaume).

It looks to me like the simple way around this issue would be to provide
an option to have pg_restore emit:   begin; truncate foo; copy foo ... commit;

The truncate will be trivial as there won't be any data or indexes at
that stage anyway.

cheers

andrew