Re: Installing Postgress 8.3.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Installing Postgress 8.3.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Brian Green wrote:
> I am going to try to get 8.3.3 to work for me.
> 1.
> I have read that to install 8.3 on Vista that you should disable UAC. If I do so, can I turn it back on again AFTER
thepostgres is installed ?

I never found it to be necessary to disable UAC. Running the installer
as the "administrator" user (shift-right-click, Run As) is quite sufficient.

> 2.
> If I install to user 'E' and then reboot the computer and then without logging on I try to access the database from a
remotecomputer, will it still have its service running and available ?

The PostgreSQL database runs as a service on Windows. It does not
require GUI/logon session interaction, and runs fine with any or no
user(s) logged in.

> Does it matter(as far as usability from a remote computer) if I try to install to an administrator account or a
standardaccount ?

No. However, the PostgreSQL installer wants to create its own user
account unless you've already set one up for it. It can't do this if
it's run as a standard user, but it may still be able to install and run
under the rights of the user you're using to install it.

I'd recommend just installing it as admin and letting it create its own
user account to run under. That way the postgres account will have only
the priveleges required to run PostgreSQL, and won't get unnecessary
rights like the ability to log in with a GUI session. It also won't show
up in the list of users if you use a "welcome screen" style login prompt.

> 4.
> To run the installer, do I click on SETUP.bat ?
>
> Inside SETUP.bat are the liness......
>
> vcredist_x86.exe /q:a /c:"msiexec /i vcredist.msi /qb!"andmsiexec /i postgresql-8.3.msi
>
> what does the msiexec words cause to happen and what does the vcredist.msi word do ?

I think what's going on there boils down to:

"Using the VC++ 2005 library redistributable installer, quietly install
the VC++ 2005 libraries onto the user's system then invoke the MSI
install package for PostgreSQL".

The VC++ 2005 library redist installer, and the libraries it contains,
are provided by Microsoft.

PostgreSQL requires the VC++ 2005 libraries if it's built with VC++
2005, as the current 8.3 binaries for win32 are.

--
Craig Ringer