Re: Default of max_stack_depth and getrlimit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Default of max_stack_depth and getrlimit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Cédric Villemain wrote:
> Le Monday 21 July 2008, Heikki Linnakangas a écrit :
>> I think we should differentiate between "infinite" and "unknown" in the
>> return value of get_stack_depth_limit(), and use max_stack_depth of 2MB
>> in case of infinite, and fall back to the 100kB only in the unknown case.
>
> Why 2MB ? I believed that 3.5MB is the effective good maximum , is that too
> much ?

2MB is the value we set max_stack_depth to, unless getrlimit() says that
the actual stack limit is lower than that.

I believe the 2MB figure is just an arbitrary value, thought to be quite
safe, but also high enough that most people won't need to raise it.
Before we started to use getrlimit(), we used to just default
max_stack_depth=2MB.