Default of max_stack_depth and getrlimit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Default of max_stack_depth and getrlimit
Date
Re: Default of max_stack_depth and getrlimit  (Cédric Villemain <cedric.villemain@dalibo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
In 8.2, we started to use getrlimit(RLIMIT_STACK, ...) to set
max_stack_depth automatically, to a max of 2MB:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-10/msg00389.php

However, it's not behaving as I expected when the stack limit is set to
"unlimited". I would expect max_stack_depth to be set to the max of 2MB,
but instead it gets set to 100kB.

I don't normally run without a limit, but it looks like the regression
tests run like that with "make check", at least on my platform. I bumped
into this while running a custom regression test with very deep nesting.

I think we should differentiate between "infinite" and "unknown" in the
return value of get_stack_depth_limit(), and use max_stack_depth of 2MB
in case of infinite, and fall back to the 100kB only in the unknown case.