Re: sh -> pl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: sh -> pl
Date
List pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've noticed that a big hunk of our build system has gratuitous
> dependencies on some variety of shell and on tools like sed, none of
> which makes Windows developers feel welcome.  I know people are
> working toward a cmake or other more cross-platform toolchain.
>
> My proposal is a lot more modest, and doesn't conflict with the larger
> one.  I'd like to move the above stuff to self-contained perl would
> help to make things more cross-platform and clean up, no offense to
> the fine authors, some pretty crufty code in there.

Give us some examples. (If you think the sed scripts are crufty, check
out some of the awk we use.)

In the case of sed, there is a standard perl replacement called psed
which can be used in at least simple cases.

But nothing we do to the make-based build system will make Windows
developers wanting to use MSVC feel any better, so I'm not quite sure
exactly what you would achieve.

Is perl currently required to build from tarball? If not, you would be
placing an additional build requirement and there may still be a few odd
build environments that don't sport perl by default.

cheers

andrew