Re: Trying to convert a TIMESTAMP return value to TIME - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From norvelle@ag.arizona.edu (Erik Norvelle)
Subject Re: Trying to convert a TIMESTAMP return value to TIME
Date
List pgsql-sql
I'm posting a followup to my own message to indicate the solution I
found.  I found I had to use the CAST operator, as follows:

INSERT INTO EVENTS (EVENT_ID, EVENT_TIME, TITLE) VALUES ('20394XCB',
CAST(TO_TIMESTAMP('10:45', 'HH:MI') AS TIME WITH TIME ZONE), 'An
Event');

Apparently, once the timestamp has been cast to TIME WITH TIME ZONE,
PostgreSQL can figure out how to convert to a standard TIME type (ie.
no timezone).

-Erik Norvelle