live metadata changes v8.3.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject live metadata changes v8.3.4
Date
Re: live metadata changes v8.3.4  (David Fetter <david@fetter.org>)
List pgsql-general

Hi:

How does one make a metadata change to a DB that's actively being used.  Specifically, I want to drop a view, drop some columns from a table that's used in the view, recreate the view without those columns.

In the past, I've resorted to connecting as a super user, running "select procpid from pg_stat_activity..." then pg_ctl kill ABRT <procpid>.  This would create a window where I could get in and make the change.  But it also created some angry users whos processes got killed.

V8.3.4 on linux.

Thanks for any advice !