Re: live metadata changes v8.3.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: live metadata changes v8.3.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 01:51:42PM -0700, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> Hi:
>
> How does one make a metadata change to a DB that's actively being
> used.  Specifically, I want to drop a view, drop some columns from a
> table that's used in the view, recreate the view without those
> columns.
>
> In the past, I've resorted to connecting as a super user, running
> "select procpid from pg_stat_activity..." then pg_ctl kill ABRT
> <procpid>.  This would create a window where I could get in and make
> the change.  But it also created some angry users whos processes got
> killed.

You have the choice between taking those users offline and not doing
the change.

> V8.3.4 on linux.

Upgrade to 8.3.16 immediately, if not sooner.  Oh, and start planning
the 9.1 migration, too.  December of 2012 is closer than you think. :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!