Re: Re: BUG #4053: libpq documentation should express clearly, that integers are passed in network octet order - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andrew Chernow
Subject Re: Re: BUG #4053: libpq documentation should express clearly, that integers are passed in network octet order
Date
Re: Re: BUG #4053: libpq documentation should express clearly, that integers are passed in network octet order  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Aleksej Saushev wrote:

>>> This is exactly what libpqtypes solves.  Not only do we handle
>>> formatting of binary formats, we provide a level of protection from
>>> internal format changes for libpq users.  See the example here:
>>> http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/.  So, documentation of binary formats
>>> (including network byte ordering) are not required.
>> No, it is still required. There's not a single reference to libpqtypes
>> in Postgres documentation, and libpqtypes isn't part of the distribution,
>> if I understand it right.
>
> Agreed.

Correct, libpqtypes is not part of the core.

What we are saying is, libpqtypes solves this problem.  I don't think
docs is the solution because that just supports the idea of libpq apps
directly handling binary formats; which makes changing these formats
MUCH harder in future releases.  Lots of libpq apps would be dependant
on these binary formats.

By all means, documenting this is probably a good idea.  I just don't
think it solves any of the interesting problems.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC