Re: BUG #4142: pg_dump will not work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: BUG #4142: pg_dump will not work
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Lee Ottaway wrote:

> Bug reference:      4142
> Logged by:          Lee Ottaway
> Email address:      lee@fusionsoftwareuk.co.uk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
> Operating system:   Vista
> Details:
>
> I activate pg_dump from my application and pass it the following
> parameters:
>
> pg_dump --host="NameofPC" --port=5432 -U "admin" --compress=3 --format=c
> --verbose --file="C:\ProgramData\Bridge-IT\backup.sql" "nameofdatabase"
>
> This works perfectly on any Windows XP machine, however when I try it on a
> Vista machine I get the following error:
>
> Connection to database "nameofdatabase" failed: FATAL:  no_hba.conf entry
> for host "fe80::e11a:753d:9916:1a28%8", user "admin", database
> "nameofdatabase", SSL off
>
> Now I know this related to IP addresses in some way, however I can connect
> to the database perfectly on the Vista machine and from client machines
> looking over the network, so how come everything can connect but pg_dump
> can't??
>
> I am using the following pg_hba.conf entries:
>
> # IPv6 local connections:
> host    all         all         ::1/128               md5
> host    all         all         192.168.0.0      255.255.0.0      md5
>
> Any ideas??

You are using the hostname, which means it will connect with the
machines "real" IP address (in this case, ipv6 address). You're not
making a local connection. Try --host=localhost instead, that should
make it use the loopback IP address (either V4 or V6, not sure which one
Vista will pick for you, but it shouldn't matter)

Your other option is to add the ipv6 address of the machine to the
pg_hba file, of course.

//Magnus