Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bryce Nesbitt
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gregory Stark wrote:
> [No I wasn't thinking of that, that's an interesting case too though I think
> we might need to think a bit harder about cases that wrap poorly. If you have
> long column headings we could wrap those too. But what if you have enough
> space for just a few characters per column and you have long text fields in
> those columns?]
I've been using this patch for months.

After the first week, I switched to the behavior above (the wrap code
gives up at a certain point).  It is a lot better, try it for yourself.
If you try to cram too much stuff onto a line it's going to become an
even more unreadable mess of very very tall columns.

Wrapping column headings only gets you so far, delaying the inevitable a
little bit.  A patch to squeeze out extra header space, or abbreviate
headers would be an advance.            -Bryce

\pset format aligned autowrap
\pset format aligned 80