Re: How to move a 11.4 cluster to another Linux host, but empty? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How to move a 11.4 cluster to another Linux host, but empty?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/2/20 7:30 AM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día sábado, mayo 02, 2020 a las 03:23:52p. m. +0200, Paul Förster escribió:
>
>> /usr/local/sisis-pap/pgsql  <= software with bin, lib64, share, etc...
>> /data/postgresql11/data     <= PGDATA
>
> Exactly, his is the setup above.
>
> I will move /usr/local/sisis-pap/pgsql by tar; and I want to move some parts(!)
> of the cluster /data/postgresql11/data (configuration etc.), but not the databases
> included in /data/postgresql11/data, like the cluster(!) in PGDATA was before having
> created any database(!) in it.

That won't work for the following reasons:

1) A lot of the files/dirs included in /data/postgresql11/data are
specific to the files in /data/postgresql11/data/base as they where
created over time. They will fail when you try to merge them with new
data. More importantly see 2) below.

2) To create a new base/ you will need to initdb data/ and that is not
possible as initdb will not work on a populated data/.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com