Re: Index AM change proposals, redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Index AM change proposals, redux
Date
Re: Index AM change proposals, redux  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 12:07 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> To be acceptable, a GIT patch would have to be optional and it
> I was considering a new pg_index column.  Or else we'd have to fix
> the storage-parameter infrastructure to support restricting changes
> of some parameters.

Interesting.  Does this mean that down the road a postgis index
might be GIT-ified?

On my biggest tables (clustered by zip/postal code) the index on
the  geometry  column with a postgis index probably sees all the
rows on each  of it's pages pointing to the same few heap pages.
If I understand right, that's the kind of pattern that GIT helps.