Re: Index AM change proposals, redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Index AM change proposals, redux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 19:43 -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > I was considering a new pg_index column.  Or else we'd have to fix
> > the storage-parameter infrastructure to support restricting changes
> > of some parameters.
>

> Interesting.  Does this mean that down the road a postgis index
> might be GIT-ified?

Yes, all types of index can benefit from some form of compression. The
only issue is that there isn't one technique that covers all use cases,
so it will take time and we should be careful to do the most important
ones first.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com