Re: Regression test fails when BLCKSZ is 1kB - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Regression test fails when BLCKSZ is 1kB
Date
Re: Regression test fails when BLCKSZ is 1kB  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut napsal(a):
> Am Montag, 21. April 2008 schrieb Tom Lane:
>> That sounds like a pretty bad idea, since it would treat ordering
>> differences as insignificant even when they aren't --- for example,
>> an ordering difference in the output of a query that *has* an
>> ORDER BY is usually a bug.
>
> Well, we wouldn't treat ordering differences as OK, but we could print
>
> foo ... FAILED (only ordering differences)
>
> which might give a clue.

When you are able detect ordering difference you are able also check if it is
important for the test or not without any extra effort. Only what we need is put
some flag to test that order is not important.

> Then again, the effort to make this bulletproof might be more than continuing
> to field the occasional question about the issue.

Regression test MUST BE bulletproof. If you get a error you must know that it is
really error (in postgresql or regtest) and must be fixed. When you start to
ignore some errors because it can happen sometimes you fall in the trap soon.

    Zdenek