Re: pgkill on win32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From James Mansion
Subject Re: pgkill on win32
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> The problem is when winsock operations are interrupted by APCs.
>
> See:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers-win32/2004-04/msg00013.php

Whoa! Indeed, that's a bit sucky because they really aren't documented
as interruptible.

In this case though I see not material problem with going back to APCs.
At the moment you
deliver to a pipe server thread with a pipe RPC.  I can't see why you
cannot deliver to a
signal handling thread with the APC - the published {thread-id,function}
tuple does not need
to refer to the main thread for the process. This would de-synchronize
the delivery but make
a relatively small change since that background thread could deliver to
the main thread the
same way it does now.

If there were any desire to provide a MT-aware postmaster, the same
technique of masking
signals except on a signal thread might apply.

James