Re: Regression test fails when BLCKSZ is 1kB - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zdenek Kotala
Subject Re: Regression test fails when BLCKSZ is 1kB
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut napsal(a):
> Am Montag, 21. April 2008 schrieb Zdenek Kotala:
>> I compiled postgreSQL with 1kB block size and regresion test fails. Main
>> problem is that output is correct but in different order. See attachment.
>
> This was previously reported:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-11/msg00901.php
>
>> I think affected test should contain order by keyword.
>
> For previously established reasons, we don't want to add ORDER BY clauses to
> every test that might fail under exceptional circumstances so we test all
> plan types equally.  I think very small block sizes are fairly exceptional,
> unless you have a reason up your sleeve why they are a good idea.

I'm only testing behavior with different block size and I think it is not good
idea to support only 8kB for regtest. When 4kB is used then PG fails in Join
regresion test and  with 16kB, 32kB it fails because:
 *** ./expected/bitmapops.out    Fri Apr 11 00:25:26 2008
--- ./results/bitmapops.out     Mon Apr 21 15:30:18 2008
--- 20,26 ----  set enable_seqscan=false;  -- Lower work_mem to trigger use of lossy bitmaps  set work_mem = 64;
+ ERROR:  64 is outside the valid range for parameter "work_mem" (256 .. 2097151)  -- Test bitmap-and.  SELECT count(*)
FROMbmscantest WHERE a = 1 AND b = 1;   count

    Zdenek