Re: get rid of psql welcome message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> help
>  returns:
>    \g to execute query
>    help psql for psql help
>    help sql for sql help
>
> Of course we would keep the pre-existing key sequences for those of us
> that have done this for the last decade :)

Actually in thinking about this more... I almost thing the default
prompt should be:

-
psql version 8.2.7, server version 8.3.1 (some features may not work)
SSL: On {cert info}
Type help to get help (tab complete enabled)
-

So on the prompt they can do:

help <Tab> <tab> and it would give back:

help [sql | psql] (or something like that)

Then if they type:

help psql, they get back the current \?

If they type help sql they get back the current \h

If they don't know what they need, help is the shortest path to find
out. If they do know what they need, then we don't need everything else.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake