Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?
Date
Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> The FAQs are another matter however.  I suggested some time back
> moving those to DocBook XML.  A friend was working on a script to do
> the initial conversion automatically.  The nice thing about it is
> that we can then use the xml2po tools to create PO files for
> translation.  This means that translations are more easily kept up to
> date.  Are you open to this possibility?

What would be the advantage of keeping it in DocBook over the wiki? One
of the main advantages of keeping it on the wiki would be to allow
others to help out with the editing of them.

Looking at the state of many of our non-english FAQs today, I don't put
too much faith into a system that'll just show people "this is not
translated". I think it's more likely to get better if the people can
just edit the translations directly instead of having to produce a
patch (and to make that work, they have to set up a build system for
processing docbook which is certainly far from trivial on some
platforms), etc...

//Magnus