Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?
Date
Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I am impressed at the state of the May wiki patch queue:
>
>     http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest:May
>
> It is even tracking the psql wrap patch I am working on now.

Thanks.  We've put a certain amount of effort on it.  Credit for the
templating system goes to Brendan Jurd, who implemented the way to make
it display as tables but without the messy markup.  I think the
templates that are now in place make for a reasonably comfortable
environment.  Not as simple as editing a plain text file, but I expect
it is lean enough.

> Magnus has started moving the Developer's FAQ to a wiki.  I am thinking
> we should move the main FAQ and the TODO list to a wiki as well if the
> community is in agreement.

Having the TODO on the wiki makes plenty of sense IMHO.  Magnus showed
me an experiment some time ago and it looked good (modulo some errors in
the conversion, but I think that's to be expected.)

The FAQs are another matter however.  I suggested some time back moving
those to DocBook XML.  A friend was working on a script to do the
initial conversion automatically.  The nice thing about it is that we
can then use the xml2po tools to create PO files for translation.  This
means that translations are more easily kept up to date.  Are you open
to this possibility?