Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: TODO, FAQs to Wiki?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I am impressed at the state of the May wiki patch queue:
> >
> >     http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/CommitFest:May
> >
> > It is even tracking the psql wrap patch I am working on now.
>
> Thanks.  We've put a certain amount of effort on it.  Credit for the
> templating system goes to Brendan Jurd, who implemented the way to make
> it display as tables but without the messy markup.  I think the
> templates that are now in place make for a reasonably comfortable
> environment.  Not as simple as editing a plain text file, but I expect
> it is lean enough.

Yes, I was surprised at the sophistication of the layout.

> > Magnus has started moving the Developer's FAQ to a wiki.  I am thinking
> > we should move the main FAQ and the TODO list to a wiki as well if the
> > community is in agreement.
>
> Having the TODO on the wiki makes plenty of sense IMHO.  Magnus showed
> me an experiment some time ago and it looked good (modulo some errors in
> the conversion, but I think that's to be expected.)

Yes, he showed me too.  I was worried no one but me would update it but
at this point I think others will get involved.

> The FAQs are another matter however.  I suggested some time back moving
> those to DocBook XML.  A friend was working on a script to do the
> initial conversion automatically.  The nice thing about it is that we
> can then use the xml2po tools to create PO files for translation.  This
> means that translations are more easily kept up to date.  Are you open
> to this possibility?

Yes.  The FAQ's change very infrequently, and XML would be fine for
those, especially since it would lessen the translation load.

http://enterprisedb.com