Re: Inserting string with a " into an array using {} syntax ... possible? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Inserting string with a " into an array using {} syntax ... possible?
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:
>> Actually this one is good.  It gets the backslashes in the output because the "
>> need to be escaped there too ('cause it's an array).  But if you output a
>> single element, they are not there:

> Bizarre, but it passes my other tests as well, so I'll have to accept
> it as correct ... just seems wrong somehow.

Well, the point is that the array output subroutine re-applies the
escaping, so that what it outputs will be acceptable to array input too
(modulo extra escaping for string literals of course, but dump and
reload via COPY is the driving consideration here).  This is all
explained under "Array Input and Output Syntax":
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/arrays.html#AEN6156

            regards, tom lane