Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Barry Lind <barry@xythos.com> writes:
> You can no long insert large values into a bigint column without a
> cast.

This seems to be fallout from the move to tighten up implicit coercions
(cf http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-04/msg00528.php
as well as lots of earlier discussions).

I said right along that this topic needed more debate, but we haven't
gotten back to looking at it.  We have a number of other nasty behaviors
in current sources that trace back to altering the set of available
coercions.