Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Barry Lind
Subject Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1
Date
Re: Bug/Change in behavior for 7.3 vs 7.2.1  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
I was just testing my product running on a 7.3 snapshot from a few days
ago.  And I ran into the following change in behavior that I consider a
bug.  You can no long insert large values into a bigint column without a
cast.  Small values (in the int range work fine though).

On 7.3 I get:

files=# create table test (cola bigint);
CREATE
files=# insert into test values (9999999999);
ERROR:  column "cola" is of type 'bigint' but expression is of type
'double precision'   You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

On 7.2.1 this works correctly:

files=# create table test (cola bigint);
CREATE
files=# insert into test values (9999999999);
INSERT 108683 1

thanks,
--Barry