Re: get rid of psql welcome message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From paul rivers
Subject Re: get rid of psql welcome message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Around <http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-01/msg00089.php> it
> was proposed to truncate the psql welcome screen.  What do you think about
> that?
>
> Personally, I'd get rid of it all, because it gets boring after about three
> uses, so that we would be at
>
> peter@colt:~$ psql testdb
> testdb=#
>
> The version mismatch warning would remain, of course.
>
> I'd also like to get rid of the SSL notice but I'm not sure what to replace it
> by.  Something in the prompt perhaps?
>
> Btw., any user could put the welcome message in his own psqlrc file via \echo
> commands in case they are really attached to it.

If you do this, adding psql internal variables so a prompt could be
built would be a nice way to go. For a default, perhaps nothing special
at all to flag the connection as ssl? If it matters to someone, they can
always set their prompt default to include this, set pgsslmode
appropriately, or call ensure sslinfo is installed and use it.

Is it worth promoting sslinfo into the core and adding a few new
functions to expose at least the same information (cypher, etc)? While
this isn't strictly related to what you're up to, sslinfo is a very nice
complement for arbitrary programs to confirm they are talking ssl.