Re: Not Geography - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: Not Geography
Date
List pgsql-general
Bob Pawley wrote:
> [GENERAL] Not GeographyI have PostgreSQL, c/w the geometry
> attachment, installed on Win XP. I need to get started using it. I am
> best able to do that by example, however a simple (geometry for
> dummies) description or a tool would also help.

Are you wanting to use the geometric data types that are included in
postgresql or full GIS types that are added by postgis?

If you are working with basic geometry instead of geographic data then
this may be somewhat simpler for you.

In case you are lost with that distinction, geometric data types are
based on a flat 2D graph to locate a point, line, rectangle, polygon etc

GIS data gets a bit more complex as it accounts for distortions from the
graph being stretched around the roughly circular earth. There are also
several different ways to calculate these distortions and postgis will
translate between them. As well as layering different data and help
deciding what data is viewable at what zoom levels etc.

postgis is normally only used for geographic data but can be more widely
applied. postgis can also handle 3D data if that is what you are
interested in.