Re: How to recovery data from folder data installation? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: How to recovery data from folder data installation?
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer wrote:
> Orlando Solarte wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I am trouble with my server postres on linux. It crashed!. I have
> > folder postgres installation that was my server. Is possible
> > recovery data from folder postgres installation? For example folder
> > data?
>
> Unfortunately you have provided very little information.
>
> If you mean that the PostgreSQL database server crashed and will no
> longer start up, then you would need to provide the messages
> PostgreSQL prints to its log files when it tries and fails to start
> up.
>
> If you mean that the server computer its self crashed, and you now
> have a PostgreSQL data directory (from backups or recovered from the
> server's hard disk) then if the PostgreSQL data directory is
> undamaged it should be possible to use it. You will need to use it
> with a version of PostgreSQL with the same minor version as the one
> you were using on the server, eg if you were using 8.1.4 you should
> get the latest PostgreSQL in the 8.1 series (NOT 8.2 or 8.3) to try
> to read the data.

What you mean here is of course that you should be using the same
*major* version, but the latest available *minor* version.

Other than that, it's correct - and the version numbers in the example
is correct :-)

//Magnus