Re: How to recovery data from folder data installation? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: How to recovery data from folder data installation?
Date
List pgsql-general
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>> with a version of PostgreSQL with the same minor version as the one
>> you were using on the server, eg if you were using 8.1.4 you should
>> get the latest PostgreSQL in the 8.1 series (NOT 8.2 or 8.3) to try
>> to read the data.
>
> What you mean here is of course that you should be using the same
> *major* version, but the latest available *minor* version.
>
> Other than that, it's correct - and the version numbers in the example
> is correct :-)

If we want to stop people from being confused about this terminology,
we would need to make our definitions of these terms more visible
on the main web site.

Many places talk about the "latest release" - but unfortunately
with differing definitions.  For example, "latest release" is
   defined as 8.3 in the english language FAQ;
   defined as 8.3.1 and 8.2.7, etc on the english language home page;
   defined as 8.2.3 on the traditional chinese FAQ, etc.

Some places (the english FAQ) talk about "major releases" happening every
year and "minor releases" happening every few months, but without defining
what that means to the numbering.

Perhaps there should be a FAQ that says that our numbering system
defines the digits as "marketing"."major"."minor".

It's no surprise to me that people don't use those terms consistently.