Re: Installation of contrib/tablefunc - problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Installation of contrib/tablefunc - problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Stefan Schwarzer wrote:
>>> ld: file not found: ../../src/backend/postgres
>>
>> It appears to be trying to link to the postgres executable (which is
>> presumably built with --export-dynamic to usefully permit that). The
>> postgres executable doesn't appear to be there.
>>
>> At a guess, the module expects to be built from a particular location
>> within the postgresql source tree, probably contrib/tablefunc, and
>> you're building it somewhere else.
>
> Yes, as indicated, I have a macports-postgres version, and try to get
> the tablefunc into that...

`tablefunc' is part of postgresql's contrib modules. It would normally
be offered by a ports system that includes postgresql.

> What can I do now? Do you have any suggestions? How should postgres be
> compiled in order to allow a later insertion of tablefunc?

If it's not available through macports, I'd ditch the macports version
of postgresql and build it, and its contrib modules, myself.

However, it looks like the MacPorts port simply omits that contrib
module. You should be able to re-enable it by editing the Portfile, then
rebuild the port. That's assuming there's not something preventing it
from being built on Mac OS X, of course.

The Portfile for postgresql contains a line:

set contribs    "adminpack dblink fuzzystrmatch lo pg_buffercache
pg_trgm tsearch2 vacuumlo xml2"

so it's worth a try to append tablefunc to that list and rebuild the
port. It's been ages since I've used MacPorts (I don't have a mac, so I
only use it occasionally on a work box) so I can't give you detailed
instructions on how to do that.

Here's the current portfile:

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/dports/databases/postgresql82/Portfile

--