Re: [BUGS] BUG #14670: uuid_generate_v3 and uuid_generate_v5 do notsupport binary names - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mohamed Akram
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14670: uuid_generate_v3 and uuid_generate_v5 do notsupport binary names
Date
List pgsql-bugs
That’s true, I guess it’s more of an enhancement but I couldn’t find an option for that in the bug form. However, even the sample C code in the RFC takes a void* argument for name.

My use case is generating unique identifiers for images, similar to:

select uuid_generate_v5(namespace, data);

where data is a bytea column.

I know I can convert to base64, but I’d rather not.