Re: [BUGS] BUG #14670: uuid_generate_v3 and uuid_generate_v5 do not support binary names - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14670: uuid_generate_v3 and uuid_generate_v5 do not support binary names
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Mohamed Akram <mohd.akram@outlook.com> writes:
> That’s true, I guess it’s more of an enhancement but I couldn’t find an option for that in the bug form. However,
eventhe sample C code in the RFC takes a void* argument for name.

> My use case is generating unique identifiers for images, similar to:
> select uuid_generate_v5(namespace, data);
> where data is a bytea column.

A little experimentation suggests that we might be able to add a function
uuid_generate_v3(uuid, bytea) alongside the uuid_generate_v3(uuid, text)
one without creating serious problems --- in ambiguous situations, it
seems the text one would be preferred, so we'd not break existing queries.

I have no interest in preparing such a patch myself, though.