Re: v8.3 + UTF8 errors when restoring DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mitchell D. Russell
Subject Re: v8.3 + UTF8 errors when restoring DB
Date
Re: v8.3 + UTF8 errors when restoring DB  (Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>)
List pgsql-general

Dean:

I did the dump as so:

Psql –Upostgres databasename > c:\temp\dump.sql

I think the database was set to SQL_ASCII before I dumped it, because when I did the 2nd restore last night to a new SQL_ASCII database, it worked fine, so that’s where I am at right now, the database is running fine on 8.3 as SQL_ASCII but I don’t want to keep it like that.

So what do you suggest I do now? Make another 8.3 database in UTF8 and dump the 8.3 SQL_ASCII one using –E with UTF8? What will it do to the characters that can’t be interpreted?

Thanks

Mitch