Re: v8.3 + UTF8 errors when restoring DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: v8.3 + UTF8 errors when restoring DB
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/03/2008 18:49, Mitchell D. Russell wrote:

> I think the database was set to SQL_ASCII before I dumped it, because
> when I did the 2^nd restore last night to a new SQL_ASCII database, it
> worked fine, so that’s where I am at right now, the database is running
> fine on 8.3 as SQL_ASCII but I don’t want to keep it like that.

As an aside, I'm wondering if you're confusing the encoding of the
database and the encoding used by the client (in this case pg_dump).
They are two different things; the database encoding is set at creation
time, while the encoding used by the client is usually set when that
client connects (with a "SET client_encoding" statement); and Postgres
translates happily between the two.

Forgive me if I'm wrong....just reading between the lines. :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie