Re: Debugging Pl/PgSQL functions with the debug contrib module - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Debugging Pl/PgSQL functions with the debug contrib module
Date
List pgsql-general
Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm developing a large postgreSQL database front end application on
> win32. I'd consider the ability to debug Pl/PgSQL functions highly
> desirable. Until now, I've been using RAISE NOTICE debugging, which is
> equivalent to printf debugging, and is sub optimal.

"Sub optimal" is the polite way of saying it :-)

> It is installed as a contrib module with the Windows distribution of
> PostgreSQL 8.3 and above". When I recently installed postgreSQL 8.3.1
> from the win32 MSI binary distribution, there was no reference to this
> contrib module. There was also no reference to it in the bundled
> "stack builder" application. What did I miss?

It should be one of the optional items to install (like pl/perl or
crypto etc) - there's a screen of tickboxes at some point during the
install.

I'd re-run the installer and see if it lets you add the module. Oh, turn
paranoid mode on first of course and backup your databases.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd