Re: Concurrent psql patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Concurrent psql patch
Date
Re: Concurrent psql patch
List pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
>>
>>> This has been saved for the next commit-fest:
>>>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold
>>>
>> Er, why "saved"?  Until there's a new patch submission there's not going
>> to be more work to do on this in the next fest.
>>
>> I think maybe you need to think a bit harder about the distinction
>> between your TODO-items-in-waiting list and the commit fest queue.
>> I was willing to wade through a pile of TODO-items-in-waiting this
>> time, because I pressed you to make the list available before having
>> sorted through it; but I'm not going to be pleased to see those same
>> threads in the fest queue next time, unless someone's done some actual
>> work in between.
>>

> It is in the next fest so I will remember to ask if people have done any
> work on them --- if not they are either deleted or moved to the next
> commit fest.
>
> Are you suggesting we just delete the threads and let them die if they
> don't submit a new version?

My understanding was that all items in a commit-fest have one of these
three dispositions:

. committed
. rejected
. referred back to author for more work

We're really only interested in the third one here, and so, yes, the
ball should be in the author's court, not yours. I don't see any reason
for you to move items from one queue to another like that. It just looks
like it's making work.

cheers

andrew