Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jurgen Haan
Subject Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS
Date
List pgsql-performance
Well, we're not running PGSQL on a Netapp over NFS, but a DB2 Database.
But nevertheless, it runs quite well. NFS is not a bad choice for your
database, the big memory buffer that allocates the raid6 blocks makes it
all very quick, like you're working directly on a 1+ TB ramdisk.

One important thing to keep in mind, is to make sure the NFS protocol
used is at least V3 and to check your locking options.
This made our DB2 crash, because when configured wrong, the file locking
mechanism on an NFS mount behaves differently than that of the local
storage. These parameters can be forced from the client side (fstab).

But still, with our 100+ GB OLTP database, I'm still quite fond of our
netapp.

-R-

--
Easyflex diensten b.v.