PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Hoover
Subject PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS
Date
Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS
Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS
Re: PostgreSQL NetApp and NFS
List pgsql-performance
I just found out that my company is planning on migrating my databases from our current ISCSI storage solution to NetApps connected via NFS.  I knew about the NetApp migration, but always assumed (and shame on me) that I would have direct attachments to the servers.

Well, I am very uncomfortable with the NFS attachement.  I have been searching the archives and see a lot of anocdotal stories of NFS horrors, but so far, nothing but general stories and statements.

I need to know if anyone out there is/has run their PostgreSQL on NetApp arrays via NFS.  My particular situation is RH Linux 4 servers running Postgresql 8.1.  I need to provide our Operations manager with specific reasons why we should not run PostgreSQL over NetApp NFS.  Otherwise, they will go forward with this.

If you have any real life good or bad stories, I'd love to hear it.  Given the NetApp arrays supposedly being very good NFS platforms, overall, is this a recommended way to run PostgreSQL, or is it recommended to not run this way.

Feel free to reply directly if you are not comfortable talking to this on the list, but list replies would be preferred so others in my shoes can find this information.

Thanks,

Chris
--
Come see how to SAVE money on fuel, decrease harmful emissions, and even make MONEY. Visit http://colafuelguy.mybpi.com and join the revolution!