Re: PG writes a lot to the disk - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG writes a lot to the disk
Date
List pgsql-performance
Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> writes:
> However, the part I wanted to comment on (and got busy yesterday so
> am only getting to it now) is that there's no guarantee that SELECT
> isn't modifying rows.

Another way that SELECT can cause disk writes is if it sets hint bits on
recently-committed rows.  However, if the tables aren't actively being
modified any more, you'd expect that sort of activity to settle out pretty
quickly.

I concur with the temporary-file theory --- it's real hard to see how
analyzing the tables would've fixed it otherwise.

            regards, tom lane