Re: --enable-thread-safety bug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Clark
Subject Re: --enable-thread-safety bug
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:28:24AM -0400, Steve Clark wrote:
>
>>Retry - the malloc - maybe there is a memory leak when
>>--enable-thread-saftey is enabled,
>>send an out of memory message to the postgres log, abort the
>>transaction - I don't know I am
>>not a postgres developer so I don't know all the issues. I all I know
>>as a user having a program
>>like postgres just sig 11 is unacceptable! As a commercial developer
>>of software for over 30 years
>>I would never just do nothing.
>

> Note this is your in application, not the server. Only your program
> died. Ofcourse the transaction got aborted, since the client (you)
> disconnected. There is no way for this to write to the server log,
> since it may be one another machine...
>
> As to the issue at hand: it looks like your program ran out of memory.
> Can you confirm the memory was running low? Even if it handled it by
> returning NULL, the caller will die because it also needs memory.
>
> Do you create and destroy a lot of threads since it seems this memory
> won't be freed?
>
> Have a nice day,
My program had no threads - as I pointed out if I change the default
Makefile in the FreeBSD ports
system to not enable thread safety my programs runs just fine for days
on end. It appears to me
without any kind of close examination that there is a memory leak in
the ecpg library when enable
thread safety is turned on.

I had an earlier problem in 8.2.6 where if enable-thread-safety was
turned on sqlca would always be zero
no matter if there was an error or not.

This appears to me to be a problem in the ecpg library when thread
safety is enabled.

Have a nice day.

Steve