Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Harold
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Friday 14. March 2008, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>
>> Years ago I played around with MySQL because that
>> was what "everybody" was using. The problem was it did not do what I
>> wanted and Postgres did.
>
> That pretty much sums up my experiences too. Back in 2002 when I started
> fooling around with databases, there wasn't much of a competition, and
> I used MySQL as 'everybody else' did. But when I reached the point
> where issues like data integrity started to matter, I was advised to
> try PostgreSQL. I did, and haven't looked back. That was in 2005, and
> PostgreSQL was at version 7.4 something.

Our issue back then (early part of this decade) was that PostgreSQL
didn't run easily on top of MS Windows and I didn't yet have any Linux
boxes that I could run it on.  It wasn't until 8.0 that we finally
started playing with pgsql in earnest.  We also now have Linux servers
installed, which makes things easier on a lot of fronts.

(We'll be migrating our small MySQL install over to postgresql this
year.  The public site is still based on MS SQL and hosts a few dozen GB
worth of data, but we have plans to migrate that to pgsql as well once
we have more experience with it.)