Re: Service account not showing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Service account not showing
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> gargoyle47 wrote:
>> I installed PostgreSQL on my Windows XP Home PC (at home) but when I
>> look under the Control Panel, User accounts, the special postgres user
>> name is not listed.
>> However, using "net user postgres" shows the following:-
>>
>> User name                    postgres
>> Full Name                    postgres
>> Comment                      PostgreSQL service account
>
>> How can I make Windows show this user so that I can access it?
>
> I don't think you can on XP Home - I think the graphical tools hide
> certain usernames from you to be "helpful".
>
> You can use "runas" to run a program (e.g. a command-prompt) as another
> user though. See Google for details.

You should also be able to shift-right-click on an executable or
shortcut to an executable (including cmd.exe, which can be handy) and
choose the "Run as..." option that appears in the context menu for the
item. I don't have XP home to test that with, but I'm pretty sure it
works on all vaguely recent Windows flavours.

This should let you do things like run psql.exe as the postgres user.
It's also great when performing admin tasks on limited user accounts on
a domain, or when using vista properly (with UAC enabled).

--
Craig Ringer